Monday 15 October 2012

Vancouver Aquarium

About a month ago, we went to the Vancouver Aquarium.  Here, I am looking into one of the many fish tanks at the Vancouver Aquarium. These are tropical fish that live in the  tropics. My fav fish in this tank are the little yellow ones. You can comment about which one is your fav fish. I would love to know.


Here is Jack the porpoise. He may look like a dolphin but he is really a porpoise. He was SO cute, he came up to the window and said, "Eee eee."

The dolphins put on a show for us at the aquarium and did tricks like the one in this photo.They also did back flips and really high jumps.There was also a splash zone but it was so crowded we had to go higher in to the stands.

I bet you think this croc is fake right? wrong. This croc from Africa and just manly sits there all day staring at us. My friend said, " I don't believe that it is real!" so I said," Ok you can jump into the cage and kick it to see if its plastic." He looked at me and said, "I'm good.''

Here is another on of my fav fish. Its also tropical.

Even though it is called Vancouver Aquarium they also do have butterflies and birds.This is one
of my fav birds that was there. I would tell you the name if I knew it of course. I'm not too good with names.

Here I am holding a...... you know the expression on my face doesn't look too good I think I am concentrating on the butterfly......anyway here I am holding a Monarch butterfly. His name is Bill.

...eeeeeeeeep snake

These are some of my friends. Once again we all have bored looks on our faces. I'm the one in the purple jacket holding the bag. Next to me is my friend, Liam, next to Liam is his brother Alex, and next to him his twin brother Chad. Wearing the blue dress is my sister, Sienna. We are standing in front of BOX jellyfish. They are the most DEADLY jellyfish in the whole world. They only live in the tropical areas near Australia.Also in other places around the Pacific!

After we left the Aquarium...........

...my sister and my dad and I are looking for shells. Unfortunately, we could not find any because the tide was coming in fast. See the futherest rock in this picture? I was standing on that about 2 minutes before this picture was taken, I could get off without getting my feet wet.We did not find any shells but I did find something a bit better.

I found a crab shell! This here is not a dead crab. When a crab gets too big for it's shell, it sheds it like a snake. This shell must have been washed up from the ocean. I'm holding the shell like that because see the two white things on top there sea anemonies and I don't want to break them because they have a good for effect.


Last week, we went to the Vancouver Aquarium for an overnight camp with 30 other homes schoolers and their families. We slept with the Baluga Whales. Don't worry we didn't drown! We were sleeping outside the tank. After the Aquarium closed the doors for the night, we had a fun time exploring the marine labs and touching sea stars, sea urchins, crabs, anemones and snake skins. Then we were allowed to wander around the Aquarium and check out the other creatures in their habitats. When the lights went out the Belugas started to perform as if they where saying, "Watch meeeeeeeee".  It was amazing to sleep listening to their sounds as they swam. We didn't get to sleep until 1 am. Next morning we met the dolphins and watched them perform tricks. Our favourite was a porpoise (his name was Jack) who came up to talk to us, only we did not understand him. Oh well! We had a great trip!
                                                                                                             ~ Jera and Sienna Nichols, yr. 7


2 comments: